Reference code(s): CA
Held at: Marylebone Cricket Club Library
Title: Cross Arrows Collection
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.12 cubic metres
Name of creator(s): Marylebone Cricket Club
Cross Arrows Cricket Club was founded in 1880 by members of MCC staff. Prior to 1880 they played away matches against other local cricket clubs, calling themselves the ‘St. John’s Wood Ramblers Cricket Club’. When they discovered another cricket club had the same name, they needed to call themselves something different. The day before they played against Northwood Cricket Club, one of the staff members asked where Northwood was and received a reply of ‘It’s cross ‘arrow way’ meaning that it was beyond the District of Harrow. J Fennell, who worked at Lord’s as an Assistant Tennis Marker, said ‘That’s it, let’s call the club the Cross Arrows’. Membership of the club was initially only for MCC employees but nowadays allows for MCC and Middlesex County Cricket Club employees past and present and also members of both clubs.
J A Murdoch, Assistant Secretary of MCC between 1878 and 1907, became the Cross Arrows’ first President. Since Murdoch, all the Presidents have also been the MCC Secretary, from Sir Francis Lacey onwards. The captain is usually Assistant Secretary of MCC. Famous players who have represented Cross Arrows during the years include Albert Trott (the only man to have ever hit a ball over the top of the Lord’s Pavilion), Gubby Allen, Denis Compton, Bill Edrich, Jim Laker, Fred Titmus, Mike Brearley, Garfield Sobers, and also non-cricketers such as Gary Lineker. The current Secretary of MCC and President of Cross Arrows, Derek Brewer, played against Cross Arrows for NatWest in 1988.
The club usually plays its fixtures in September, and regularly against teams such as Adastrians (Royal Air Force), Stage, Butterflies, Royal Navy, Stragglers of Asia, and MCC themselves. Cross Arrows fixtures have either been played on the Main Ground at Lord’s or the Nursery Ground. In 1980 Cross Arrows celebrated its centenary with a match against a combined MCC and Middlesex XI, while in 2014, to commemorate Lord's 200th anniversary, a match between a President of Cross Arrows XI and a Cross Arrows XI was played on the main ground at Lord's, made up of MCC staff.
This collection consists of minute books, files relating to fixture arrangements, scorebooks, membership and financial information. Not all records have been retained.
Scope and content/abstract:
Minutes, files relating to fixture arrangements and finance, scorebooks, membership lists.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Items arranged by date.
Conditions governing access:
Records under 30 years old are closed to the public, records between 30 and 40 years require permission from the Club Secretary before access. All other records are open.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Records available subject to the original's status and condition.
More details of the collection is available via the MCC Collections Online Catalogue at mcc.adlibhosting.com or via www.lords.org
Accruals are expected.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Cross Arrows Cricket Club
Archivist's note: Compiled by Robert Curphey, MCC Archive Cataloguer. The following sources were used to compile the history of the collection: Gaby, R T, Cross Arrows Cricket Club 1880-1980, 1980 'Around the Ground' MCC Staff Newsletter Issue 11 - August 2012
Rules or conventions: Compiled in accordance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000. Descriptions are indexed using the UK Archival Thesaurus and UNESCO Thesaurus and meet the National Council on Archives' Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: May 2013