Reference code(s): GB 0098 KMIN
Held at: Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine
Title: Mineral Resources Engineering Department of Imperial College
Date(s): Created 1908-1992 (ongoing)
Level of description: Series of Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine records
Extent: 8 boxes
Name of creator(s): Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
The Department of Mineral Resources Engineering has its origins in the Royal School of Mines, which opened in 1851 as the Government School of Mines and of Science applied to the Arts. By 1854, the Mining and Metallurgical Division was established as one of four sections of the School. The department was moved from Jermyn Street to South Kensington in 1891.An undergraduate degree course in Mineral Dressing was introduced in 1953, and renamed Mineral Technology in 1961, when a new chair in Mineral Technology was established. The Department was known as the Department of Mining and Mineral Technology from 1961 until 1976, when it became the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering with the addition of Petroleum Engineering from the Department of Geology.A third year undergraduate course in Rock Mechanics was introduced in 1967.
The Centre for Petroleum Studies was established in 1994 and is currently part of the T H Huxley School of Environment, Earth Science and Engineering, as is the Petroleum Engineering & Rock Mechanics (PERM) Research Group.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Department of Mineral Resources Engineering of Imperial College, 1908-1992, including departmental history from 1851-1964; course leaflets, 1923-; newsletters, 1990-1991; reports and reviews, 1938, 1987-1992; Professorial correspondence, 1908-1935; papers of the Merricks Committee, 1930-1932; Rectors' correspondence, 1955-1981; correspondence relating to the headship of the department, 1967-1979; change of name, 1965-1975 (KMIN); papers relating to the new course of Environmental and Earth Resources Engineering, 1992 (KMIN/E);
papers relating to Tywarnhale mine, Cornwall, 1908-1971, including correspondence concerning its purchase, 1908-1912; general administration, 1909-1939; with the Duchy of Cornwall, 1910-1922, 1950-1951; purchase of land, 1946-1965 (KMIN/M);
papers relating to the Petroleum Engineering Section, 1973-1978, including working party papers on proposed course; Chair of Petroleum Engineering, 1974-1975; course leaflets, 1975-1978 (KMIN/P);
papers relating to the Rock Mechanics Section, comprising MSc course details, ; research reports, 1967, 1969, 1975 (KMIN/R);
report on the Royal School of Mines examination, 1924 (KMIN/S);
papers relating to the Mineral Technology Section, comprising brochures, establishment of the section, 1949-1950 (KMIN/T).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records are arranged in sections as outlined in the scope and content.
Conditions governing access:
Researchers wishing to consult the Archives should first contact the College Archivist, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, for an appointment.
Conditions governing reproduction:
A photocopying service is available at the discretion of the Archivist. Photocopies are supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Archivist.
A catalogue is available at the College Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Created and accumulated by Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine during the course of business.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Records of the Royal School of Mines and Royal College of Science (D) and Department of Materials (KMET), held at Imperial College.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.
Rules or conventions: General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2000