Reference code(s): GB 0098 KMET
Held at: Imperial College of Science Technology and Medicine
Title: Materials Department of Imperial College
Date(s): Created 1887-1992
Level of description: Series of Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine records
Extent: 5 boxes
Name of creator(s): Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine
The Department of Materials has its origins in the Royal School of Mines, which opened in 1851. By 1854, the Mining and Metallurgical Division was established as one of four sections of the School, and was moved from Jermyn Street to South Kensington in 1879 as the Department of Metallurgy. In 1970, the Department became the Department of Metallurgy and Materials Science, and the Department of Materials from 1986, as part of the Royal School of Mines.
The London Centre for Marine Technology was established in the 1980s as a joint venture between Imperial College and University College London.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Department of Materials of Imperial College, formerly the Department of Metallurgy, 1887-1990, including a departmental history from 1851-1963; course information, -1984; leaflets relating to assay of bullion, 1895; lecture notes, 1887-1888; Professorial correspondence with the administration department, 1908-1939; papers relating to proposed course, 1931-1939; Committee on metallurgists' training, 1943-1944; post of Professor of Metallurgy, 1908, Chair of Metallurgy, 1913; transfer of the department during World War Two, 1939-1943; Rectors' correspondence, 1955-1981; British Steel Corporation Fellowship, 1970; Nuffield Foundation Fellowship, 1948-1970; future of the department, 1976-1977; change of name, 1985; annual reports, 1988- (KMET);
papers of the London Centre for Marine Technology, comprising research review, 1990-1992 (KMETM).
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records are arranged in sections as outlined in the scope and content.
Conditions governing access:
Researchers wishing to consult the Archives should first contact the College Archivist, Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, Exhibition Road, London SW7 2AZ, for an appointment.
Conditions governing reproduction:
A photocopying service is available at the discretion of the Archivist. Photocopies are supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Archivist.
A catalogue is available at the College Archives.
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Created and accumulated by Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine during the course of business.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Records of the Royal School of Mines and Royal College of Science (D), Royal College of Science (E), Interdisciplinary Centres and Courses (KO), Department of Geology (KG), Department of Mineral Resources Engineering (KMIN), records relating to the University of London (UL), held at Imperial College.
Archivist's note: Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.
Rules or conventions: General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: October 2000