AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BARKING CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, UPNEY LANE, BARKING

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): LMA/4115
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BARKING CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, UPNEY LANE, BARKING
Date(s): 1965-1973
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.1 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1782 George Gold, minister of the Brickfields Congregational church in West Ham, began to hold services in a hired house at Barking. A church was formally constituted in 1785, and a meeting-house erected in the Broadway. In 1829 the congregation was estimated at 350-400. The church, which had been enlarged in 1805, was rebuilt in 1824-1826, during the pastorate of George Corney. Joseph Smedmore promoted the erection of a new and larger building, opened in 1864, and the addition of new schoolrooms in 1877. After the First World War, when many residents in the older part of Barking were moving into the new houses north of the railway, the church sold its building in the Broadway, and in 1929 erected a new one in Upney Lane. The church joined the United Reformed Church in 1973.

Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 5 (1966), pp. 231-233.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Marriage registers for Barking Congregational Church, Upney Lane, 1965-1973.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Two volumes.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Received in 1998 (B98/202).

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING