AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BARKING ROAD METHODIST SOCIETY, CANNING TOWN

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): N/M/042-12
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BARKING ROAD METHODIST SOCIETY, CANNING TOWN
Date(s): 1889-1959
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 0.16 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Barking Road Wesleyan Methodist Church originated in 1857, when Thomas Jacob, a Wesleyan from Cambridge, started services in Sabberton Street. Services, Sunday school, and a day-school were later held in Hallsville Road. In 1862 a school-chapel, seating 250, was built on the north side of Barking Road, east of Canning Town railway station. Owing mainly to the efforts of the superintendent minister, J. S. Workman, a larger building was opened in 1868, heading a new Canning Town circuit, with a membership of 150. The society had previously belonged first to the Spitalfields, then to the Bow circuit. The old chapel continued in use as a day and Sunday school. The new one, with all its records, was destroyed by a fire of 1887 and rebuilt in the same year. Barking Road was transferred to the Seamen's Mission in 1907, when the Cory Institute was erected, costing 6,000, of which 2,000 was given by John Cory of Cardiff. Unemployment and movement of population after the closing of the Thames Ironworks weakened the church about this time, but it revived and flourished until the 1930s. It was destroyed by bombing in September 1940, and a temporary building was erected on the site in 1948. In 1957 it joined the London Mission (West Ham), with a membership of 50. The temporary building was sold and in 1960 the congregation amalgamated with Custom House Primitive Methodist Church and Shirley Street United Methodist Church in a new church at Fife Road, Canning Town. War damage compensation from Barking Road helped to build a new church at Harold Wood, Hornchurch, in 1962. In 1963 there was a petrol station on the Barking Road site.

From: 'West Ham: Roman Catholicism, Nonconformity and Judaism', A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 123-141.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Papers relating to Barking Road Methodist Church, Canning Town, 1956; correspondence and lists of documents received by the Department of the London Mission, 1 Central Buildings, Westminster, SW1 from Barking Road Methodist Church, Canning Town, 1959; general correspondence, 1956-1959; legal papers and correspondence relating to the Minister's house at 437 Barking Road, Plaistow, 1889-1920 and correspondence relating to the finances of Canning Town Chapel, 1917-1918.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

N/M/042/1: First West London and Second London Circuits; N/M/042/2: Islington Circuit; N/M/042/3: Camden Town; N/M/042/4-11: Spitalfields Chapel; N/M/042/12-14: Caledonian Road Chapel; N/M/042/15-22: Saint George's East Chapel, Cable Street, Poplar; N/M/042/23-25: Deptford Circuit; N/M/042/26: Walworth; N/M/042/27: Forest Hill Chapel; N/M/042/28-29: Grove Wesleyan Mission; N/M/042/30-68: Brunswick Methodist Church, Limehouse; N/M/042/69-74: Seamen's Mission Circuit; N/M/042/75-140: Barking Road Methodist Society.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: Depositor

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in 1977 (AC/77/067).

Allied Materials

Related material:

For marriage registers of Barking Road Wesleyan Methodist Church contact Essex Record Office, reference D/NM 9/15.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to March 2009

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING