AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, BETHNAL GREEN: COVENTRY ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P72/BAT
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT BARTHOLOMEW, BETHNAL GREEN: COVENTRY ROAD, TOWER HAMLETS
Date(s): 1836-1977
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.76 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Bartholomew, Bethnal Green | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint Bartholomew was constructed in 1841 and consectrated in 1844. The building was built in an Early English style, designed by William Railton. A district was assigned in 1844, taken from part of the parish of Saint Matthew. The patron was the Corporation of London. The church ran various associations and missionary activities, including preaching from a pulpit attached to the exterior of the church. The church was damaged during the Second World War and services were held in the hall until the church could be reopened in 1955. In 1978 the parish was merged with Saint John's (P72/JN) and Saint Simon Zelotes (P72/SIM), and the church was closed and converted into flats.

From: 'Bethnal Green: List of Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 217-226.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Bartholomew, Bethnal Green, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; church services registers; issues of the London Gazette containing orders in council relating to parish boundaries and endowments; records relating to the benefice; faculties and plans of the church; papers relating to mission halls and church halls; financial records; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to the parish school; and parish magazines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records P72/BAT/1-43 deposited by the Priest-in-Charge on 11 March 1975. Further Records P72/BAT/44-128 deposited by the Incumbent on 23 November 1978.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING