AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P81/JN1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1671-1846
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 14.81 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St John at Hampstead | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

A local act of Parliament, passed in 1800 (39 and 40 Geo III c.35), set up a Board of Guardians to administer poor relief. The Board consisted of the resident County magistrate, the incumbent, Churchwardens and overseers, and the principal inhabitants of Hampstead. By an order of the Poor Law Commissioners of 7 January 1837, the district was incorporated into Edmonton Union for purposes of poor relief on 3 February 1837. After numerous protests, Hampstead again became independent, being made a separate Union in 1848.

The records listed here cover the period of the independent parish prior to 1800, that of the Guardians from 1800 to 1837, and the period of the inclusion in the Edmonton Union from 1837 to 1848.

The parish of Hampstead originated in a chapel established to serve the manor of Hampstead when it still lay within the parish of Hendon. This chapel is first mentioned in 1244. In 1365 the church and graveyard at Hampstead were dedicated by the Bishop of London, and the church is referred to as a parish church in subsequent documents. The advowson was held by the manor. The medieval chapel was dedicated to Saint Mary. The building was demolished in 1745 as it had fallen into ruin and was unsafe. The new church was consecrated in 1747 and was dedicated to Saint John. It was designed by John Sanderson.

From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 145-152.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint John, Hampstead, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage and confirmations; registers of church services; preachers' books; orders of service; parish administrative files; Parochial Church Council minutes; Ruri-Decanal Chapter and Conference minutes; papers relating to parish boundaries including maps; legal documents relating to ownership of parish lands; papers relating to the church building, parsonage and churchyard, including correspondence, petitions, drawings and plans, agreements, surveys and minutes; papers of the Churchwardens including financial accounts; fee books; pew rents; papers relating to parish charities; papers relating to the parish schools including minutes, log books and plans; parish magazines and newspaper cuttings.

Also papers relating to the civil functions of the parish including papers of the Overseers of the Poor; settlement examinations; apprenticeship indentures; and papers of the Surveyors of the Highways.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records transferred from the records of the Boards of Guardians, 6 October 1954. Further church-related accessions were received in 2003 and 2004.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Because of the close relationship between the parish and the manor, it is advisable to consult this list in conjunction with M/81, the list of manorial records found in the Hampstead Guardians archives. For the records of Hampstead Board of Guardians see HPBG.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"