AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY, EALING: SAINT MARY'S ROAD, EALING

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/037
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY, EALING: SAINT MARY'S ROAD, EALING
Date(s): 1582-1984
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 8.8 linear metres (340 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Ealing | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London is recorded as being the patron of the church at Ealing in 1127, and he held the position thereafter. The church served the whole parish until 1828 when part was assigned to Saint George's, Old Brentford, and 1852, when a new parish was served for Christ the Saviour.

The church of Saint Mary stands on St Mary's Road and is the second building to occupy this site. The original medieval church was so ruined by 1675 that services had to be held elsewhere, and the steeple fell on the church in 1729, destroying the building. A new church was completed by 1740, and was later remodelled and extended in 1865. Further restorations took place in the 1950s.

From: 'Ealing and Brentford: Churches: Ealing', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 150-153. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Ealing, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials, banns of marriage, confirmation and church services; papers relating to parish boundaries; papers relating to tithes, income and endowments; records of the Churchwardens including rates, accounts, polls and papers regarding the maintenance of the church fabric; Parochial Church Council minutes; records of the Overseers of the Poor including rates, accounts, settlement and bastardy orders; papers relating to parish charities; minutes of the Trustees of the parish school; and papers relating to the management and enclosure of Ealing Dean Common.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in 9 sub-fonds as follows: A: Incumbent; B: Churchwardens; C: Parochial Church Council; D: Overseers of the Poor; E: Parish Clerk; F: Charities; G: Schools; H: Ealing Dean Common and J: Miscellaneous.

Conditions governing access:

Files DRO/037/A1/1-27 and 29-53 are not available for consultation, please use microfilm copies provided. Files DRO/037/E1/1-2 and DRO/037/G2/1 are unfit for consultation.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in March 1977. Additional records deposited on behalf of the Incumbent on 13 July 1981, 14 November 1989, 21 February 1990 and 13 June 1990.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For further records of the civil parish of Ealing (as well as the parishes of Perivale and West Twyford) please see ACC/2208/E, ACC/2208/P, and ACC/2208/T.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING