AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ALL HALLOWS, TOTTENHAM: CHURCH LANE, HARINGEY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DRO/015
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ALL HALLOWS, TOTTENHAM: CHURCH LANE, HARINGEY
Date(s): 1557-1901
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.87 linear metres (34 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Hallows, Tottenham | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Tottenham measured 4,680 acres in 1831. It was divided by a Roman road known as High Road which ran north to south through the parish and around which most of the early settlement was situated. The parish of Tottenham also included Wood Green and Harringay. The parish was bordered to the east by the river Lea and Essex; to the north by Edmonton, to the west by Friern Barnet and Hornsey, and to the south by Hornsey, Stoke Newington and Hackney.

The parish church of Tottenham is first mentioned in 1134, when it was granted to the canons of Holy Trinity, Aldgate. A vicarage was endowed by the Bishop of London in 1198, and the position of vicar was usually held by the prior of Holy Trinity. After the Reformation the advowson was granted to the chapter of Saint Paul's. The parish church of All Hallows is situated on Church Lane. The building has been altered and extended many times since the 15th century.

Source of information: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 307-309 and 348-355. Available online.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Parish of All Hallows, Tottenham, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage, and burials; registers of services; and legal papers relating to the National School.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged in two sub-fonds: DRO/015/A: Incumbent; DRO/015/D: Schools.

Conditions governing access:

DRO/015/A/01/001-031 unfit or not available for consultation, please use microfilm.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright for these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in December 1965.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March to April 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING