AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P87/JS
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1655-1981
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 5.17 linear metres (211 files).
Name of creator(s): Parish of St James, Paddington | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of Saint James is the ancient parish church of Paddington. It existed before 1222, as a chapel. The first parish church was probably dedicated to Saint Katherine and was demolished in 1678; to be replaced by the church dedicated to Saint James. Between 1791 and 1843 the church of Saint Mary, Paddington Green, acted as the parish church. The church of Saint James was demolished in 1791. A new church of Saint James was constructed in 1841-43, enlarged in 1881. From 1885 onwards the ancient parish was divided up into smaller parishes to reflect the population increase in this area.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint James, Sussex Gardens, Paddington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, burials and church services; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minutes; minutes of the Council of Parochial Association; financial accounts; papers of church societies; records relating to parish schools and charities; photographs; parish magazines; papers relating to parish boundary changes including plans; and papers relating to the maintenance of the church fabric.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records of the Parish of Paddington and of St. James's Church, Sussex Gardens, Paddington, deposited 19 February 1964. Records P87/JS/121-143 were deposited in December 1971. Record P87/JS/144 was deposited in 2004.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

For further information see 'Paddington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 252-259.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"