AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY, STEPNEY: CABLE STREET, TOWER HAMLETS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P93/MRY3
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY, STEPNEY: CABLE STREET, TOWER HAMLETS
Date(s): 1850-1983
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.96 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary, Stepney | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish of Saint Mary, Stepney, was originally part of Christ Church, Watney Street (P93/CTC2). It was situated in a very poor slum area, known as Sun Tavern Fields or No Man's Land. The vicar of Christ Church, William Quickett had managed to get schools opened in 1849 and on the same day the foundation stone of a new church was laid by Lord Hadda. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Winchester on May 22nd 1850. The dedication to Saint Mary was made at Lord Hadda's request as a tribute to his wife. The church was also known as Saint Mary, Johnson Street, Saint George in the East.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary, Cable Street, Stepney, including registers of baptisms, banns and marriages; church services registers; financial accounts; Vestry and Parochial Church Council minute books.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Parish records deposited in the Greater London Record Office, by the Vicar, 27-28 May 1987.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING