AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHRIST CHURCH WITH SAINT PAUL, FOREST HILL: CHURCH RISE, LEWISHAM

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P86/CTC1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHRIST CHURCH WITH SAINT PAUL, FOREST HILL: CHURCH RISE, LEWISHAM
Date(s): 1854-2003
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.92 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of Christ Church, Forest Hill | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Christ Church, Church Rise, Forest Hill was consecrated in 1854. The site had been given by the Earl of Dartmouth, lord of the manor and patron, who wanted an imposing centre piece for his Dartmouth Park estate. The estate was planned in the 1840s, but largely built in the 1850s. The foundation stone of the church was laid in 1852 although the spire was not completed until 1885. Ewan Christian was the architect.

In the 1980s, a partnership was formed with Saint Paul, Forest Hill and on 1 December 1991 the benefice and parish of Saint Paul was removed by Order in Council and Christ Church with Saint Paul, Forest Hill was created. In 2003 the parish was due to be united with Saint George, Woolstone Road, Perry Hill.

List of vicars (1854-1965):
John Michell Clarke 1854
Thomas D Morse 1878
Gustavus Jones 1882
Charles R Bailey 1901
Victor C A Fitzhugh 1920
S Gordon Hooper 1926
Arnold F Judd 1933
D H Bryant Bevan 1937
R Paul Wernham 1946
C W Mortimer-Lamb 1965

In 1972, the Vicarage was at Sunderland Road, Forest Hill.

In 2003 the parish was under the following: Patron: Bishop of Southwark and the Earl of Dartmouth Deanery: West Lewisham Archdeaconry: Lewisham Episcopal Area: Woolwich Diocese: Southwark (from 1905).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Christ Church, Forest Hill, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns and burials; preachers' books and registers of church services; Parochial Church Council minutes; administrative papers; financial accounts; papers relating to church income; papers relating to church buildings including the parsonage and churchyard; and records regarding the Christ Church School.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are open to public inspection although records containing personal information may be subject to closure periods.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1976, with further accessions in 2003.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also Saint Paul, Forest Hill, Lewisham (P86/PAU).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING