AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SAINT MARY, SOMERSET: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/MRY12
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SAINT MARY, SOMERSET: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1558-1947
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.55 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Mary Somerset, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint Mary Somerset dated to the 12th century. The name probably derives from the wharf Somershithe which was nearby. The church was destroyed during the Great Fire of 1666, rebuilt to designs by Wren, but demolished in 1872. The tower was saved. The parish was united with Saint Mary Mounthaw after the Great Fire, and with Saint Nicholas Cole Abbey in 1872. The united parish was later joined with Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe.

Information from The London Encyclopaedia, eds. Weinreb and Hibbert (LMA Library Reference 67.2 WEI).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Mary Somerset, Upper Thames Street, City of London, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; Churchwardens' accounts; Overseers' books of receipts and payments; poor rate assessment books and tithe rate assessment books.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

To assist the user the catalogue has been arranged in sections each with a code as follows: A Parish registers; B Vestry and parish officers; C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists; D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of these parishes were deposited with the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library at various dates from 1902. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See Saint Mary Mounthaw, reference P69/MRY11 and Saint Andrew by the Wardrobe, reference P69/AND1.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING