AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ALL HALLOWS, LONDON WALL: CITY OF LONDON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P69/ALH5
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ALL HALLOWS, LONDON WALL: CITY OF LONDON
Date(s): 1455-1967
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.2 linear metres (68 production units).
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Hallows, London Wall, City of London | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of All Hallows London Wall was first mentioned in the early 12th century. A cell for anchorites built next to the chancel wall in 1474 was subsequently occupied by the well-known hermit, Simon the Anker. The church was rebuilt in 1613-27. It escaped damage during the Great Fire in 1666 and was rebuilt in 1765-67 by George Dance the Younger. Repairs were carried out in 1891 and again in 1960-62.

The parish of All Hallows London Wall was united with the parish of Saint Botolph Bishopsgate in 1954. Since that date it has been used as a guild church.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of All Hallows, London Wall, City of London. The earliest records are churchwardens' accounts, which date from 1455. There are parish registers (baptisms, marriages, burials, banns, church services) from 1559, and vestry minutes from 1700. However, most of the records date from the 18th century or later, including poor rate assessments and tithe rate assessments.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The catalogue has been arranged in sections representing sub-groups each with an archival classification code as follows: A Parish registers. B Vestry and parish officers (including poor law). C Rate assessments and inhabitants lists. D Charities and estates.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The surviving archives have been deposited in Guildhall Library since the 1920s. The most recent deposit was in 1998. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

United with St Botolph Bishopsgate (P69/BOT4). In 1891, administration of the charitable gifts and bequests of the parish was transferred to the City Parochial Foundation. Deeds relating to these gifts and bequests, 1703-1833, have been deposited amongst the records of the City Parochial Foundation. Please note that 24 hours' notice is required for access to records of the City Parochial Foundation.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING