AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ALL SAINTS, BATTLE BRIDGE: CALEDONIAN ROAD, ISLINGTON

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 P83/ALL1
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ALL SAINTS, BATTLE BRIDGE: CALEDONIAN ROAD, ISLINGTON
Date(s): 1839-1979
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.04 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of All Saints, Caledonian Road, Islington | Church of England

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The church of All Saints, Caledonian Road, was constructed in 1837 to 1838, designed by William Tress. It seated 1,116 although this was later expanded to 1,150. A district was assigned to the church in 1839, formed from part of the parish of Holy Trinity. The vicar of Holy Trinity was patron. The parish of All Saints later decreased in size as parts of it were assigned to Saint Andrews, Thornhill Square and Saint Silas, Penton Street, Clerkenwell. The parish was joined to Saint Silas in 1972, however, services were held in the church hall under the vicar of Saint Andrew's. In 1975 the church was destroyed by fire and demolished. The church ran various missions including All Saints Mission Church, White Lion Street (see P76/ALL); Saint John the Evangelist Mission, Copenhagen Street; All Saint's Mission, Thornhill Bridge Place; and the Crinan Street Mission.

From: 'Islington: Churches', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 88-99.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of All Saints, Caledonian Road, Islington, including registers of baptisms, marriages, banns, and confirmations; church services registers; papers relating to parish boundaries; financial records; papers relating to the church building and the church hall; Parochial Church Council minutes; papers relating to the parish school; and parish magazine.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into categories which reflect divisions between the different functions and operations of the parish and its administration. Order within these categories reflects chronology.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited by the Vicar on 28 November 1972. Additional parish record deposited by the Vicar of St Andrew, Thornhill Square with Holy Trinity, on 21 December 1981 (record P83/ALL1/119/1). Additional registers deposited by the Vicar of St Andrew's, Thornhill Square, Islington on 8 June 1983 (registers P83/ALL1/120-121).

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April to June 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING