AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

WELCOME CHARITABLE INSTITUTE FOR WOMEN AND GIRLS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/152
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: WELCOME CHARITABLE INSTITUTE FOR WOMEN AND GIRLS
Date(s): 1879-1989
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 13 production units.
Name of creator(s): Welcome Charitable Institute for Women and Girls x Welcome Fellowship

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Welcome Charitable Institute was founded in 1882 to provide assistance to women and girls working in factories in the City. From 1967 to 1982 it was known as the Welcome Fellowship. It was dissolved in 1982. From 1882 to 1940 the Institute had premises in Jewin Street; after the destruction of these premises by enemy action in 1940, it worked from a number of addresses in the northern part of the City. The Institute maintained a holiday home at Littlehampton, Sussex, from 1911 to 1962.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Welcome Charitable Institute for Women and Girls, comprising minutes, reports, photographs and press cuttings and other administrative material.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives were presented to the Manuscripts Section, Guildhall Library in 1984 and 2006 and the whereabouts of any further records is not known. The records were catalogued by Guildhall Library staff in 1984 and 2006. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING