AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ARCHBISHOP TENISON'S SECONDARY SCHOOL FOR BOYS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 A/ATB
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ARCHBISHOP TENISON'S SECONDARY SCHOOL FOR BOYS
Date(s): 1676-1923
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.11 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Archbishop Tenison's Secondary School for Boys

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The school and library were founded by Archbishop Tenison in 1697, and were housed in Castle Street, Saint Martin in the Fields. After moving to various temporary premises in Castle Street in 1871, the school occupied its new building in Leicester Square in 1872. The school at Kennington Oval was opened officially in 1928.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Archbishop Tenison's Secondary School for Boys, including deeds of title; leases; minutes; financial accounts; reports; vouchers mainly for repairs and taxes; correspondence; property management; records of boys admitted, school work and functions; the will of Archbishop Tenison and notes on his life; and records relating to the parish of Saint Martin in the Fields.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been sorted into an order which reflects divisions between the different functions and operations of the organisation and its administration.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to these records rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in the London County Record Office, County Hall, on 15 April, 1961.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also A/ATG and ACC/2692.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June to August 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING