AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

QUEEN MARY COLLEGE: PRINCIPALS' RECORDS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0370 QMC/PS
Held at: Queen Mary, University of London
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at http://www.library.qmul.ac.uk/ ›
Full title: QUEEN MARY COLLEGE: PRINCIPALS' RECORDS
Date(s): 1910-1990
Level of description: Sub-fonds of Queen Mary College
View parent record
Extent: approximately 26 linear metres
Name of creator(s): East London College
Queen Mary College
Detailed catalogue: Click here to view repository detailed catalogue

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The first principal of East London College (later Queen Mary College) was John Leigh Streatham Hatton, from 1908 to 1933. He was also Director of Studies of the People's Palace Schools from 1896. Later principals were Major General Sir Frederick Barton Maurice, 1933-1944, Benjamin Ifor Evans, 1944-1951, Sir Thomas Percival Creed, 1952-1967, Sir Harry Melville, 1967-1976, Sir James Woodham Menter, 1976-1986 and Professor Ian Butterworth, 1986-1991.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Principals of Queen Mary College, formerly East London College, 1910-1990, comprising correspondence files relating to College departments, [1940-1982]; Military Education Committee, 1947-1973; research studentships, 1931-1936; post graduate courses, 1941; Fellowships and studentships, 1947-1957; London County Council, 1936-1945;
People's Palace, 1932-1956, including papers relating to the public inquiry, 1932, following the fire of 1931; war damage to buildings, 1944-1945; requisition of buildings and occupation of hostels by WAAFs, [1940s]; rebuilding, 1911-1943, largely alterations to blocks; public lectures and functions, 1937-1955; hostels, 1930-1970; correspondence with Consultant Engineer, 1934-1939, relating to College buildings and services; correspondence with the City and Guilds, 1922-1938; Drapers' Company, 1933-1945; Governing Body agendas, [1924-1969]; papers, including minutes, of the Committee of Deans, 1956-1971; Registrars' files, 1950-1955; quinquennial development, 1910-1933, 1957-1972; Collegiate Council papers, 1969-1970; press cuttings, 1939-1972.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records are unsorted.

Conditions governing access:

The Archives are available for access in an Archives Reading Room located on the 2nd Floor of the Mile End Library. The Archives Reading Room is open Tuesdays to Thursdays 10am-4.30pm and Monday and Friday by appointment only. Users are invited to contact the Archives in advance, so that more information can be supplied concerning archive collections of relevance to their research. Contact the Archives for more information: Archives, Mile End Library, QMUL, 328 Mile End Rd, London E1 4NS, telephone: 020 7882 3873, email: archives@qmul.ac.uk. For more information about the Archives see the website: www.library.qmul.ac.uk/archives

Conditions governing reproduction:

Photocopying at the discretion of the Archivist.

Finding aids:

The records are unlisted.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Transferred from a College basement store in 2001.

Allied Materials

Related material:


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.

Rules or conventions:
National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
May 2001

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING