Reference code(s): GB 1556 WL 1389
Held at: Wiener Library
Title: Left Book Club: Leaflets
Level of description: Collection level
Extent: 1 file
Name of creator(s): Left Book Club
The Left Book Club was a very successful radical left wing group that flourished in Great Britain from the mid 1930s to the beginning of World War Two. It was started in 1936 by the barrister, Stafford Cripps, and publisher Victor Gollancz, with the goal of selling left wing books at very cheap prices. Those who joined agreed to buy at least one book a month for a 6-month period. By 1939 it had 57,000 members and sold about 6 million books. During the war the British Communist Party agitated for an end to war and transformed a number of Left Book Club groups into 'Stop the War' committees. By the end of World War Two there were only 7,000 subscribers and it formally shut down in 1948.
Scope and content/abstract:
Leaflets, advertising membership to the Left Book Club, 1930s.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copies can be made for personal use. Permission must be sought for publication.
Description exists to this archive on the Wiener Library's online catalogue www.wienerlibrary.co.uk.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Jewish Central Information Office
Archivist's note: Entry compiled by Howard Falksohn.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: March 2008