Graphical version

London Metropolitan Archives



Reference code(s): CLA/021

Held at: London Metropolitan Archives


Date(s): 1753-1967

Level of description: Collection

Extent: 3.4 linear metres

Name of creator(s): Corporation of London


Administrative/Biographical history:

Blackfriars Bridge was constructed by Bridge House Estates, Corporation of London, in 1760 and opened in 1769, designed by engineer Robert Mylne. There was a toll for crossing the bridge until 1875 - a halfpenny for every foot passenger rising to a penny on Sundays. The bridge had to be extensively repaired in 1833 but was still not satisfactory and eventually it was decided to construct a new bridge.

The new Blackfriars Bridge was designed by Joseph Cubitt to be wider than the old bridge, less steep, and with fewer arches to allow water flow. Work began in 1865 and was finished by 1870.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Bridge House Estates relating to Blackfriars Bridge, 1753-1967. Papers include accounts; surveyor's papers and other material relating to maintenance; wage books; reports; petitions; papers relating to tramways; photographs and programmes, including for the laying of the foundation stone of the new bridge, 1865.


Language/scripts of material: English

System of arrangement:

In sections according to catalogue.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright: City of London.

Physical characteristics:

Generally fit.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:


Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:


Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Corporation of London Records Office.


Existence and location of originals:

Existence and location of copies:

Related material:

For Corporation of London records relating to Bridges see: CLA/007: Bridge House Estates, CLA/018: Bridges, CLA/019: Southwark Bridge, CLA/020: Tower Bridge, CLA/021: Blackfriars Bridge, CLA/022: London Bridge, COL/CC/BBB: Court of Common Council Blackfriars Bridge (Building) Committee, COL/CC/BBR: Court of Common Council Blackfriars Bridge (Repairing) Committee, COL/CC/BHC: Court of Common Council Bridge House Committee, COL/CC/BHT: Court of Common Council Bridge House Trust Committee, COL/CC/CLBH: Court of Common Council City Lands and Bridge House Estate Committee, COL/CC/JTB: Court of Common Council Joint Bridge House Estates and Improvement Committee, COL/CC/JTS: Joint Bridge House and Special Committee, COL/CC/CLA: Court of Common Council City of London (Arizona) Corporation, COL/CC/LBA: Court of Common Council London Bridge Approaches Committee, COL/CC/LBC: Court of Common Council London Bridge Committee, COL/CC/LBI: London Bridge Improvements Committee, COL/CC/SBC: Court of Common Council Special Bridge or Subway Committee, COL/CCS/PL: Comptroller and City Solicitor: Plans, COL/PL: Plans, COL/PLD/PL: Planning Department Plans, COL/SVD/PL: Surveyor's Department Plans, COL/TSD/PL: Technical Services Department Plans, COL/CHD/CM: Chamberlain's Department: Chamber Accounts.

Publication note:



Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009

Administrative history | Administration | Organisation and management
Bridges | Transport infrastructure
Building maintenance | Building operations | Construction engineering
Civil engineering | Construction engineering

Personal names
Cubitt | Joseph | 1811-1872 | civil engineer
Mylne | Robert | 1733-1811 | architect and engineer

Corporate names
Blackfriars Bridge
Bridge House Estates | Corporation of London x City Lands and Bridge House Estates Committee

City of London | London | England | UK | Western Europe | Europe