Reference code(s): COL/CC/CLSB
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: COURT OF COMMON COUNCIL: CITY OF LONDON SCHOOL BUILDING COMMITTEE
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Corporation of London
The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.
In 1442 John Carpenter, Town Clerk of London, bequeathed land to the Corporation of London intended to fund the maintenance and education of four boys born within the City, who would be called 'Carpenter's children'. Following an Act of Parliament of 1834 it was decided to charge the Carpenter Estates for the building and maintenance of a school, and the City of London School was opened in 1837. It was first built on the site of Honey Lane Market, Milk Street, Cheapside, but moved to Victoria Embankment in 1882. During the Second World War the school was temporarily moved to Marlborough. In 1983 the City of London School Building Committee was assembled to supervise the construction of a new school building at Queen Victoria Street. The new building was opened in 1986.
Scope and content/abstract:
Minute book of the City of London School Building Committee, 1983-1991. Please note that this volume is closed until 2022.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
In sections according to catalogue.
Conditions governing access:
Not available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright City of London.
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Corporation of London Records Office.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
For Corporation of London records relating to schools and education, see CLA/053: City of London School, CLA/054: City of London School for Girls, CLA/055: City of London Freemen's School, CLA/056: Guildhall School of Music and Drama, CLA/057: Morgan family, CLA/058: Dorothea Crompton, CLA/059: Maurice Cole, CLA/060: Madeline Payne, CLA/062: Gresham College and Royal Exchange, CLA/063: Education, CLA/067: Christ's Hospital, COL/CC/CLE: Court of Common Council City of London Education Committee, COL/CC/CLF: Board of Governors, City of London Freemen's School, COL/CC/CLFO: Court of Common Council City of London Freemen's Orphans School, COL/CC/CLG: Board of Governors, City of London School for Girls, COL/CC/CLS: Board of Governors, City of London School, COL/CC/CLSB: Court of Common Council City of London School Building Committee, COL/CC/CLSG: Court of Common Council City of London School for Girls Building Committee, COL/CC/CLSS: Court of Common Council City of London Schools Committee, COL/CC/EDC: Court of Common Council Education Committee, COL/CC/EEC: Court of Common Council Elementary Education Committee, COL/CC/GSMD: Board of Governors, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, COL/CC/LCE: Local Centres Examinations Board Executive Committee, COL/CC/MDC: Court of Common Council Music and Drama Committee, COL/CC/SCH: Court of Common Council City of London School Committee, COL/CC/SCS: Court of Common Council Schools Special Reference Committee, COL/CCS/SO: Comptroller and City Solicitor: Solicitor, COL/CHD/IC: Chamberlain's Department: Institutions and Courts, COL/CHD/TF: Chamberlain's Department: Trust and other Funds and COL/PL, COL/PLD/PL, COL/SVD/PL and COL/TSD/AD for building plans.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009