Reference code(s): COL/CC/SGC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: COURT OF COMMON COUNCIL: SPECIAL (GUILDHALL RECONSTRUCTION) COMMITTEE
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 0.2 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Corporation of London
The concept of the Court of Common Council grew from the ancient custom of the Folkmoot, when the assent of the citizens to important acts was obtained. This custom was continued by the Mayor who consulted the Commons several times during the 13th century. From 1376 the assembly began to meet regularly and was referred to as the Common Council. It was decided that the Council should be made up of persons elected from each Ward. By 1384 a permanent Common Council chosen by the citizens was established for all time. The Council assumed legislative functions and adopted financial powers, confirmed by Charters of 1377 and 1383. The Council has often used these powers to amend the civic constitution, regulate the election of Lord Mayor and other officials, and amend the functions of the City courts. The Council was judged so successful in the conduct of its duties that it was the only Corporation unreformed by Parliament following the Municipal Corporations Commission report of 1837, while the Corporation Inquiry Commission of 1854 suggested only minor reforms. The work of the Council is conducted by a number of committees, while the whole Council has the right to approve policy, confirm major decisions and sanction expenditure. The committees handle many aspects of the running of the City including land and estates, finance and valuation, open spaces, street improvement and town planning, public health, police, Port of London, civil defence, airports, libraries, markets, education, and law. The Town Clerk has held responsibility for recording the minutes of the Council and its committees since 1274.
The Special (Guildhall Reconstruction) Committee was an ad hoc Committee first appointed following a report of the City Lands Committee, which was approved by the Court of Common Council on 27 May 1954. The Committee comprised 2 Aldermen nominated by the Court of Aldermen, 4 Common Councilmen nominated by the City Lands Committee and 6 by the Court of Common Council, plus the Chairmen of the City Lands Committee and of the Coal, Corn and Finance Committee. It dealt with all matters affecting the restoration of the Guildhall and the reconstruction of the adjacent buildings, which had previously been dealt with by the City Lands Committee.
Its work completed, the Committee was disbanded by the Court of Common Council on 23 Nov 1978. Outstanding references were transferred to the City Lands and Bridge House Estates Committee. In place of this Committee and the Central Criminal Court (Extension) Committee (also disbanded at the same time), the Works Advisory Committee was appointed with effect from Jan 1979.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Special (Guildhall Reconstruction) Committee, Court of Common Council, comprising minutes, 1954-1978. Minutes created in 1978 are closed until 2009.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
In sections according to catalogue.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright City of London
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Corporation of London Records Office.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
For records of the Corporation of London relating to building construction and improvements work, see COL/CC/BBB: Blackfriars Bridge (Building) Committee, COL/CC/BBR: Blackfriars Bridge (Repairing) Committee, COL/CC/BRC: Barbican Centre Committee, COL/CC/CLSB: City of London School Building Committee, COL/CC/CRE: Central Criminal Court (Extension) Committee, COL/CC/GHI: Guildhall Improvement Committee, COL/CC/GHY: Guildhall Yard East Building Committee, COL/CC/IMP: Improvements Committee (Corporation), COL/CC/LBI: London Bridge Improvements Committee, COL/CC/MRI: Markets Improvement Committee, COL/CC/SGC: Special (Guildhall Reconstruction) Committee, COL/CC/WAC: Works Advisory Committee, COL/CHD/IM: Chamberlain's Department: Improvements, COL/MH/MSH: The Mansion House, COL/PL: Plans, the papers of the Planning Department (COL/PLD), the papers of the Surveyor's Department (COL/SVD) and the papers of the Technical Services Department (COL/TSD).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009