Reference code(s): H17
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SAINT MARY ABBOT'S AND THE METROPOLITAN EAR, NOSE AND THROAT HOSPITALS
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 14.35 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital x Institution for Curing Diseases of the Ear xx Metropolitan Ear Institution
Saint Mary Abbot's Hospital | 1948-1992 x Kensington Workhouse xx Kensington Institution | 1912-1933 x Saint Mary Abbot's Hospital (Institution) | 1933-1938 x Saint Mary Abbot's Hospital (2) | 1938-1944
Saint Mary Abbot's Hospital | 1948-1992 x Kensington Infirmary | 1848-1923 x Saint Mary Abbot's Hospital | 1923-1938 x Saint Mary Abbot's Hospital (1) | 1938-1948
Kensington Infirmary and Kensington Workhouse were administered by the Kensington Board of Guardians until 1930. Kensington Workhouse became known as Kensington Institution in 1912 and Kensington Infirmary became St Mary Abbot's Hospital in 1923. In 1930 when the London County Council took over the two hospitals, St Mary Abbot's Hospital was designated a type A hospital for the acute sick, and Kensington Institution became a type B hospital for the chronic sick. In 1931 on the retirement of the Master of Kensington Institution, the hospital was placed under the charge of a Medical Superintendent as a first stage in integrating the two hospitals. This was carried a step further in 1933 when the Institution was renamed St Mary Abbot's Hospital (Institution).
From 1938 St Mary Abbot's Hospital became St Mary Abbot's Hospital (I) and St Mary Abbot's Hospital (Institution) became St Mary Abbot's Hospital (II), until 17 June 1944 when Hospital (II) was closed due to enemy action. The two hospitals were eventually united formally in 1948 when they were taken in to the National Health Service.
In 1838, the surgeon James Yearsley founded the Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital, in Sackville Street, W1. It was the first hospital to specialise in diseases of the Ear, Nose and Throat. The hospital was transferred to Saint Mary Abbots Hospital in 1953, where it retained its identity as a specialist hospital until 1985 when it was removed from the control of Saint Mary Abbots and became part of the Ear, Nose and Throat Department of the new Charing Cross Hospital.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital, 1875-1966, and Saint Mary Abbots Hospital, 1872-1993. Papers include committee minutes, reports, patient registers, correspondence, inventories, staff records and histories.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
H17/ENT: Metropolitan Ear Nose and Throat Hospital and H17/SMA: Saint Mary Abbots Hospital.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in multiple accessions between 1985 and 1994 (ACC/2145, ACC/2477, ACC/2742, ACC/3219, ACC/3439).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Images of Saint Mary Abbots Hospital, 1918-1989, can be found at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Archives, Fulham Road, London.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009