Reference code(s): H30/PG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: PADDINGTON GREEN CHILDRENS HOSPITAL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Paddington Green Children's Hospital
In the 1860's Dr Eustace Smith and Dr T C Kirby established the North-West London Free Dispensary for Sick Children in cramped quarters at 12 Bell Street, NW1. It was set up as a charity and would provide medical treatment for any child without notice or recommendation. The buildings on Bell Street rapidly became too small for the number of patients being treated. In the early 1880's seven thousand pounds was raised and used to purchase two houses on Paddington Green. These were converted to form a hospital and opened on 16 August 1883 as Paddington Green Children's Hospital.
However, there was a serious outbreak of diphtheria at the hospital. As the cause could not be traced the hospital was closed down and the buildings demolished. It was then discovered that there were two old cesspits nearby which had been the cause of the outbreak. A new hospital was built on the site; it was opened in 1895 and extended a year later. In 1911 a much improved out-patients department was opened.
In 1948 it became part of the newly formed National Health Service and was in the London (Teaching) Regional Health Board and under the administration of the Saint Mary's Hospital Management Committee. With NHS reorganisation in 1974 it became part of the North West London Regional Health Authority under the North West (Teaching) District Health Authority. In 1982 the District Health Authorities were redrawn and Paddington Green was now in Paddington and North Kensington. In 1987 the hospital closed when its facilities were transferred to the new Saint Mary's Hospital at Paddington.
Scope and content/abstract:
Register of children privately baptised at Paddington Green Children's Hospital; states at beginning of register 'Such baptisms being entered in the Registers of St Mary's Church, Paddington Green', later entries include baptisms by R.C Chaplain, 1887-1977.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
ACC/2808. Received in 1990.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Administrative and pictorial records, 1882 - 1971, can be found at St Mary's Hospital Archives, Praed Street, London.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009