Reference code(s): H53
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: INDUSTRIAL ORTHOPAEDIC SOCIETY
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 18.7 linear metres
Name of creator(s): The Allies Hospital Benevolent Society x Industrial Orthopaedic Society x Industrial Orthopaedic Friendly Society Limited x Manor House Friendly Society Limited x Simplyhealth Manor House Hospital
The Industrial Orthopaedic Society was founded and first registered as The Allies Hospital Benevolent Society in 1915 (Friendly Society number 1483) to treat wounded French soldiers in Normandy during the First World War. In 1919 the society was renamed The Industrial Orthopaedic Society and the head office moved from 10 Duke Street, Adelphi, Westminster to the Manor House, Hampstead Heath near Golders Green where a new hospital was built.
The Society governed the Manor House Hospital as well as additional sites which included Ivy House Recovery Hospital, Inverforth House Women's Hospital, Industrial Diseases Medical Institute and rehabilitation centres including at Clapham Park, Bedford, Bedfordshire and Elton Hall, Stockton-on-Tees. The Society's hospitals continued to be run privately and independently after the establishment of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948.
As a benevolent society, the organisation was supported by subscriptions from members working in the heavy industries, where risks of industrial accidents in the workplace were high. Subscriptions also came from their contributing firms and trades unions across the United Kingdom. By paying a weekly subscription, members were eligible for specialised treatment in the Society's hospitals for conditions caused by industrial accidents involving the musculoskeletal system. In addition to orthopaedic treatment, general surgical treatment for the membership and dental and optical treatment was provided for members and their families. Individuals who were treated worked in mines, quarries, railways, factories, harbours and docks as well as construction and shipping. A network of Area Councils and District Committees in industrial regions was established to promote the Society's work and receive subscriptions.
The society later became a registered company, the Industrial Orthopaedic Friendly Society Limited and traded in 1990s as 'Manor House Healthcare'. In 1996 the company was incorporated under the Friendly Societies Act 1992 as Manor House Friendly Society Limited (registration number 457F). In that year the company's registered office remained at Manor House Hospital, North End Road with its head administrative office at Hillside, 151 North End Road and branch offices in Derby, Derbyshire; Hove, Sussex; Leeds, Yorkshire; London; Luton, Bedfordshire; Neath, West Glamorgan, Wales; and Sunderland.
Manor House Hospital closed in 1999 and the offices moved to Stag House, Old London Road, Hertford, Hertfordshire where they remained until 2004. The hospital site was demolished and redeveloped by Octagon Homes as 'Manor Heights', a luxury gated estate with 16 large town houses and 33 apartments.
In 2000 the company's trading name became Simplyhealth and in 2002 Simplyhealth merged with the Hospital Saving Association Limited (HSA) based in Hambledon House, Waterloo Court, Andover, Hampshire with the aim to provide businesses healthcare products in their provision of employee healthcare. The merger added private medical insurance business to HSA's portfolio. In 2004 it was announced that Simplyhealth would change its brand to HSA.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Society relating to Manor House Hospital, Golders Green and associated sites of treatment including minutes of committees, matron's and surgeon's reports to the House Committee which include details on named patients and deaths (1920-1968) (H53/A/03/03) and comprehensive series of annual reports.
Also held are rules, circulars and subject files of the General Secretary (later the Chief Administrative Officer in 1980s and Chief Executive in the 1990s) on a wide range of subjects including membership, scope of treatment, staff, premises including Inverforth House and the Pergola and Ivy House, regional organisation, funds and royal visits. Also held are a presentation volume to Lord and Lady Hague with original artwork depicting the premises and a book of remembrance presented to the hospital after the Second World War (H53/B/11/001-002). Financial series (H53/C) include annual returns and cash books.
Records on patients treated at Manor House Hospital (H53/D) are incomplete. They comprise admission and discharge and operation registers (1933-1978), lists of members by firm (1931-1993) and bed statistics. The volumes do not provide detailed information on patients and their treatment.
Records of the Society's regional areas and districts (H53/E) consist mainly of extensive series of minutes held by regional and district secretaries across England, Scotland and Wales. The Northern Area records include subject files and financial records.
Printed material (H53/F) includes comprehensive series of press cuttings with indexes, publications, brochures, articles, histories and newsletters. There are souvenir brochures for openings of premises, royal visits and related events, and some artefacts including badges.
Also held are papers of A V Alexander, President of the Society (H53/H) including photographs, artwork, correspondence and history.
Extensive series of photographs and slides depicting the buildings, staff and events (H53/G) remain uncatalogued. Please contact staff for further information.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged as follows:
H53/A GOVERANCE br/> H53/B ADMINISTRATIONbr/> H53/C FINANCE br/> H53/D PATIENTSbr/> H53/E REGIONS AND DISTRICTS br/> H53/F PRINTED MATERIAL AND ARTEFACTS br/> H53/G PHOTOGRAPHS (this section remains uncatalogued: please contact staff for further details. br/> H53/H ALEXANDER, ALBERT VICTOR
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 2018.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Copyright: City of London
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Duplicates together with minor and routine files including premises insurance and rate assessments and attendance at meetings have been disposed of, amounting to a total of three shelf metres.
Immediate source of acquisition:
The main archive was gifted to City of London in 2004 with smaller additional gifts made in 1999, 2008 and 2014
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also archives of Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (H08).
See also TUC archives at Modern Records Centre, Warwick, which also holds collections which document trade union links with Manor House Hospital.
There has also been a Friendly Societies Research Group based at Open University.
For more information about the hospital's early years see: Manor House Hospital: a personal record, Samuel James Woodall, 1966 Routledge & Kegan Paul Ltd.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009. Updated May 2019.