Reference code(s): H20/BK
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BROOK GENERAL HOSPITAL, WOOLWICH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 3.98 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Brook General Hospital xx Brook Fever Hospital | 1896-1948
The Brook Hospital opened in 1896 as one of the hospitals for infectious diseases built and maintained by the Metropolitan Asylums Board. It was situated on Shooters Hill Road in Woolwich. In 1930 on the dissolution of the Metropolitan Asylum Board the hospital was transferred to the London County Council. In 1938 it had 552 beds and was one of the principal London County Council fever hospitals for such diseases as scarlet fever and measles.
During the Second World War the Brook Hospital was also used as a general hospital treating service personnel, air raid casualties, and civilians. In 1948 on the formation of the National Health Service it came under the control of the South East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board and the Woolwich Group Hospital Management Committee, who linked it with the Memorial Hospital transferring all the medical beds from the Memorial Hospital to the Brook, which was renamed the Brook General Hospital. In 1952 it had 414 beds in use.
On the reorganisation of the NHS in 1974, responsibility for Brook Hospital passed to the South East Thames Regional Health Authority and Greenwich and Bexley Area Health Authority, succeeded in 1982 by Greenwich Health Authority. The hospital closed in 1995 on the transfer of services by Greenwich Healthcare NHS Trust to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Brook General Hospital, Woolwich, including patients' registers, 1897-1963; register of staff, 1926-1930; steward's report book, 1929-1936; account book, 1896-1930; inventories, 1896-1924; administrative files and histories of the hospital.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged according to a classification scheme for hospital records: General Hospital Administration (A), Patients' Administration (B), Finance Office (D), Endowments (E), Related Documentation (Y) and Prints and Photographs (PH).
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
The records had at some stage been stored in a room with a leaking roof and had consequently been affected by damp and mould.
Immediate source of acquisition:
Acc/3620, Acc/3662. The Hospital Chaplain deposited her two registers in the Greater London Records Office on the closure of the hospital chapel in November 1995. The remaining records were located and gathered together by the Brook Hospital Decommissioning Team. From these 12 feet of records were selected for deposit in February 1996.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009