Reference code(s): H02/WCH
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: WESTMINSTER CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 15.55 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Saint Francis Hospital for Infants xx The Infants' Hospital xx Westminster Children's Hospital
The hospital was founded by Helen Levis, wife of Robert Mond, in July 1903. It was named the Saint Francis Hospital for Infants, after the Saint Francis Cripples' Home, whose premises the hospital took over. Later that same year, however, the name was changed to The Infants' Hospital, to avoid confusion with another institution of the same name.
In 1906 a purpose-built hospital was constructed in Vincent Square. This was financed by Sir Robert Mond as a memorial to his wife, the hospital's founder. The new hospital was opened in November 1907.
In 1923 the hospital was incorporated, and in September 1946 it was amalgamated with the Westminster hospital. In honour of this new connection the hospital's name was changed to the Westminster Children's Hospital.
From the start of the National Health Service in 1948 the hospital, as a member of the Westminster Hospital group, was part of the South West Metropolitan Region. In 1974 it formed part of the North West Thames Regional Health Authority and the South (Teaching) Health District. In 1982 it became part of the Riverside District Health Authority. The hospital was closed and it services moved to the new Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in May 1993.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Westminster Children's Hospital, including management, research and staff committee minutes, 1906-1968; annual reports, 1903-1945; correspondence, plans and papers, 1908-1971; registers of patients, 1907-1981; registers of in-patients, 1910-1974; registers of out-patients, 1910-1950; casualty registers, 1937-1981; X-ray registers, 1950-1956; post-mortem registers, 1923-1951; returns and statistics, 1934-1951; financial records, 1907-1949; deeds and agreements, 1850-1934; press cuttings, 1907-1981; presentation of certificates and awards, jubilee celebrations and a letter from Buckingham Palace thanking the Staff for their best wishes on the birth of Prince William, 1957-1982 and information leaflet Saving Children's Lives: all about the work of the bone marrow transplant unit at Westminster Children's Hospital, 198-.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records are arranged as follows: A = administration, B = patients' records, D = finance, F = Deeds, PH = photographs, R = associations, Y = related documentation.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
X-ray registers, 1965-1993, can be found at the Chelsea and Westminster Hospital Archives.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009