Reference code(s): H09/EV
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: EVELINA HOSPITAL
Date(s): 1867 - 1970
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 29.38 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Evelina Children's Hospital x Evelina Hospital for Sick Children | 1869-c.1955
The Evelina Hospital for Sick Children was founded by Baron Ferdinand James Anselm de Rothschild in 1869. It was named after Baroness de Rothschild, who had died in childbirth in 1866. The Hospital was formally opened on Tuesday June 15 1869. There was to be an experimental period when there were only 30 beds. In the second year in which it was open, the Hospital began to charge a penny for each bottle of medicine issued and to recruit trainee nurses. In 1871 support from the public was requested and subscriptions and donations consequently rose, allowing the number of cots to be increased to 40 in 1872, and to 56 by 1875. Baron de Rothschild decided in 1892 that the Hospital should be a public institution. The Committee of Management was enlarged to 18 governors. Baron de Rothschild died in 1898.
A new wing was opened in 1907; but a new building begun in 1939, including a new Outpatient department, was postponed when war broke out. The Evelina also became an approved training school for State Registered Nurses after the Nurses' Registration Act 1919. The Evelina was closed down in 1976 and moved into the newly-built Guy's Tower as the new Children's department.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Evelina Hospital, including Court of Governors minute book, 1893-1948; Committee of Management minutes, 1869-1939; Medical Committee minutes, 1894-1928; House Committee minutes, 1912-1948; constitution and rules of the hospital, 1903-1934; standing orders and duties of medical staff, 1907-1948; general reports, 1887-1902; annual reports, 1871-1948; correspondence, 1882-1963; guard book kept by the Secretary containing circulars, memoranda and press cuttings regarding the hospital and its administration, 1875-1899; papers regarding repairs and improvements to the operating theatre and the cleaning of the ward floors, 1901-1903; statements of income and expenditure, 1879-1921; staff registers, 1875-1949; papers and plans relating to building work, 1876-1951; patients' case register, 1874-1877; medical registers, 1889-1904; in-patients register, 1918-1926; case books, 1911-1939; death register, 1908-1912; ward report books, 1936-1939; operation books, 1909-1940; post mortem report books, 1892-1948; out-patients registers, 1896-1948; baptism register, 1935-1975; housekeeping records, 1882-1948; register of trainee nurses, 1896-1914; financial records, 1869-1948; registers of donations, 1881-1939; histories of the hospital, 1969; articles and pamphlets relating to the founder of the hospital, 1959-1968; articles and pamphlets relating to other children's hospitals, 1939-1972; photographs of the interior and exterior of the hospital, 1907-1969; press cuttings, 1871-1896 and leaflets and prospectuses printed by the hospital, 1888-1948.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged into nine sections according to a classification scheme for hospital records. These are minutes and general administration (A), patients' administration (B), clinical records (W), matron's office and nursing staff (C), finance and accounts (D), endowments (E), library list - books and articles (Lib), miscellaneous (Y) and photographs (ph).
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
ACC/1656, ACC/1774, ACC/2501, ACC/1684, ACC/2209, ACC/2594, B05/067
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Medical Committee minutes and related records can be found at Kings College London Archives.
The Evelina. The Story of a London Children's Hospital 1869 - 1969 by H E Priestly M A, PhD
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009