Reference code(s): H09/EV/EWH
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: EVELINA HOSPITAL: ELEANOR WEMYSS HOME
Date(s): 1931 - 1948
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 0.2 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Eleanor Wemyss Convalescent Home | Evelina Hospital for Sick Children
The Eleanor Wemyss Convalescent Home of the Evelina Hospital for Sick Children was opened in 1931. The building, at Crazies Hill, Wargrave-on-Thames, near Henley had been donated in 1928 by Sir Campbell Rhodes, Chairman of the Evelina Hospital for Children, in memory of his wife Eleanor Wemyss who died in 1921. The Evelina Hospital assumed full financial responsibility for the Home in 1934. It had been regular practice for the Evelina to send its patients away to convalesce since 1880, when a Convalescent Fund was set up.
The Home was retained when the Evelina amalgamated with Guy's Hospital in 1948, but was eventually closed in July 1962.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Eleanor Wemyss Home, Evelina Hospital, comprising committee minutes, 1931-1939; financial ledger, 1942-1945; Children's Fund cash book, 1939-1948 and photograph album, 1931-1939.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
The records are arranged in three sections: minute books and general administration (A), finance and accounts (D) and photographs and prints (ph).
Conditions governing access:
Some closures on patients records for 100 years and on some other records which are under 30 years old.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
The Evelina. The Story of a London Children's Hospital 1869 - 1969 by H E Priestly M A, PhD
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009