Reference code(s): H24/CM
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: CLAPHAM MATERNITY HOSPITAL
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Clapham Maternity Hospital | 1889 - 1935 xx Annie McCall Maternity Hospital | 1935 - 1970
Clapham Maternity Hospital was founded in 1889 by Dr Annie McCall and Miss Marion Ritchie. It was the first maternity hospital where women were treated only by female doctors, and where midwives, maternity nurses and female medical students were trained entirely by women. Poor married women were admitted to the hospital, as were unmarried women expecting their first child. A district midwifery service was also provided to deliver women in their own homes.;The hospital was situated initially at 41 and 43 Jeffreys Road, Clapham. Later 39 Jeffreys Road was purchased to enable the hospital to expand. By 1939 it had 50 beds for in-patients. In 1935 the name of the hospital was changed to the Annie McCall Maternity Hospital.
The Battersea Maternity Branch was situated at Saint John's House, 31-33 Albert Bridge Road, Battersea (formerly Queen Anne's Terrace). Clapham Maternity Hospital took over responsibility for the home in 1892 from Saint John's House, an Anglican nursing organisation, which had founded the maternity home in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea, in 1877.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Clapham Maternity Hospital comprising committee minute book, October 1888-June 1939.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
The records were transferred to the London Metropolitan Archives on 6 May 1987 (Acc/2422) with the records of the South London Hospital for Women and Children.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Registers of children baptised at the Annie McCall Maternity Hospital 1924-1940 and 1945 - 1969 have been deposited with the parish records of Saint John the Evangelist, Clapham Road (ref.: P95/JNE1/55-56). For minutes of Joint House Committee and Hospitals Sub-Committee 1965 - 1970 see H24/SLW/A/16/001-002. For records after the change of name to Annie McCall MAternity Hospital see H24/AM. For minute book 1941-1945 see H33/MM/A/02/001;For records of Saint John's House see H01/ST/SJ.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009