Reference code(s): H27/QC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: QUEEN CHARLOTTE'S MATERNITY HOSPITAL
Date(s): 1749- 2001
Level of description: sub-fonds
Extent: 35.6 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Queen Charlotte's and Chelsea Hospital x Queen Charlotte's Lying-in Hospital and Midwifery Training School x Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital and Midwifery Training School
In 1739 Sir Richard Manningham, the leading man-midwife of his day, established some lying-in wards in a house adjoining his residence in Jermyn Street. This was the first general lying-in hospital in Britain. In 1752 the hospital moved to Saint Marylebone became known as the General Lying-In Hospital and was established as a teaching hospital. In 1791 the hospital was stated to be for 'poor pregnant women, as well married as unmarried'. Between 1855-1857 the hospital was rebuilt to designs by Charles Hawkins and in 1885 a Royal Charter of Incorporation recognised the midwives training school.
In 1929 an isolation hospital for women suffering from puerperal fever was established on Goldhawk Road, Hammersmith. It was intended that this become part of an enlarged hospital with the Queen's Lying-In Hospital, called Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital. The main hospital building were constructed between 1937 and 1939 and in 1940 the Queen's Lying-In Hospital moved in from Marylebone.
After the end of the Second World War Queen Charlotte's started negotiations with the Chelsea Hospital for Women with the object of forming a combined school for teaching obstetrics and gynaecology to postgraduate students. This co-operation was recognised under the newly formed National Health Service through the creation of Queen Charlotte's and Chelsea Hospital Management Committee. The hospitals were also in the separate Regional Hospital Board for London Teaching hospitals.
With NHS reorganisation in 1974 Queen Charlotte's became part of the Postgraduate Teaching Regional Health Authority, further recognition of the teaching work done by the hospital. It was in a District Health Authority of its own. In 1982 further reorganisation linked Queen Charlotte's and Hammersmith Hospital's under one Regional Health Authority. This followed the plans, in 1976, to move Queen Charlotte's to the Hammersmith Hospital site on Du Cane Road. In 1988 the long connections between the Chelsea Hospital for Women and Queen Charlotte's were consolidated through the merger of the two hospitals. Since 1994 Queen Charlotte's and the Hammersmith Hospital have formed the Hammersmith Hospitals NHS Trust. Queen Charlotte's Hospital relocated to the Hammersmith Hospital site at the end of 2000.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Queen Charlotte's Maternity Hospital, 1749- 2001, including board and commitee minutes and papers, records of the Ladies Association, registers of patients, admission and discharge registers, charts, operation registers, pathology records, correspondence, financial records, nursing reports, pupil midwives and pupil nurses registers, and plans of the hospital.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
These records are arranged according to a classification scheme for hospital records: General Hospital Administration (A), Patients' Administration (B), Finance Office (D), Endowments (E), Related Documentation (Y) and Prints and Photographs (PH).
Conditions governing access:
These records are open to public inspection, although under section 5(4) of the 1958 Public Records Act administrative records are closed for 30 years and patient records for 100 years.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
ACC/3334, ACC/3352, ACC/3399, ACC/3799, B00/077, B02/039, B04/009, B07/056
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: February 2009