Reference code(s): ACC/1105
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TOTTENHAM AND ENFIELD METHODIST CIRCUIT
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church
A Methodist place of worship was first registered in the Tottenham area in 1765. Numbers grew slowly until a period of rapid expansion in the 1860s which encouraged the building of new chapels. The original 1765 chapel was rebuilt on a larger scale in 1867 and an ambitious construction project - to build 50 new chapels - was begin in Wood Green in 1871. In 1896 Tottenham became the head of a large circuit stretching from Seven Sisters Road to Cheshunt and had one of the most active communities in North London. A circuit is normally a group of churches in a local area served by a team of ministers. A minister will have pastoral charge of one or more churches, but will preach and lead worship in different local churches in the circuit, along with local preachers. The arrangements for leading worship in a circuit are drawn up in a quarterly Plan.
Scope and content/abstract:
Local Preachers' Meeting Minute Book containing minutes of quarterly meetings of local preachers of the Tottenham Circuit, 13 June 1910 - 4 December 1936; the Tottenham and Enfield Circuit, 5 March 1937 - 30 May 1941; and the Enfield Circuit, 5 September 1941 - 2 June 1944.
Please note that by the standard terms of deposit of the Methodist Church documents less than 60 years old (except pulpit notices, handbills, and other items already made public) are not to be produced without permission of the Superintendent Minister of the Circuit.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1971.
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009