Reference code(s): ACC/1767
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: GERMAN REFORMED SAINT PAUL'S CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): German Reformed Saint Paul's Church, London x German Evangelical Reformed Church
The German Evangelical Reformed Church was established in London in 1697 by Protestant refugees fleeing religious oppression in the Palatinate. William III permitted services to be held in the chapel of the Savoy Palace. A new church built in Duchy Lane, Savoy, on the site of a French Church was consecrated in 1771. It was closed and demolished in 1816 to make way for the construction of Waterloo Bridge. A new church was consecrated in 1819 in Hooper Square, Leman Street, Whitechapel, which was in turn demolished as the site was required for railway purposes. The replacement church built in Goulston Street, Whitechapel, in 1886-1887 was destroyed by bombing in 1941.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the German Reformed Saint Paul's Church, 1936-1982, including histories of the church, programmes for events and photographs of a festival dinner for organist Eric Seymour.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: German and English.
System of arrangement:
In sections according to catalogue.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also Acc/1473 for material relating to the foundation of the church.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009