Reference code(s): ACC/2567
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HAREFIELD METHODIST CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.42 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church
Methodist services and a Sunday school were said to have been started in the coach-houses of Harefield Grove House, at that time belonging to Robert Barnes, a former Mayor of Manchester. Barnes built the church in 1864 and maintained a resident minister there. On his departure from Harefield in 1869 he offered the building to the Wesleyan Methodist authorities, whose property it became in 1871. The church hall was opened in 1906, but after the First World War the congregation declined in numbers. The Second World War brought evacuees to the village causing a slight increase, but in 1959 the chapel had no resident minister and was largely dependent on lay preachers. The Chapel is now closed.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 3: Shepperton, Staines, Stanwell, Sunbury, Teddington, Heston and Isleworth, Twickenham, Cowley, Cranford, West Drayton, Greenford, Hanwell, Harefield and Harlington (1962), pp. 256.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Harefield Methodist Church including baptism registers, 1865-1982; marriage registers, 1926-1983; Trustee's meetings minute books, 1901-1987; financial accounts and papers, 1863-1963; notices, 1971-1974 and Choir Committee minutes, 1944-1960.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Registers; Minutes; Finanicial papers; Notices.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the Rev Jean Nicholson, on behalf of the Superintendent Minister, on 3 May 1988 (ACC/2567).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also ACC/2270.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009