Reference code(s): N/C/34
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BRENTFORD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.33 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
From 1693 to 1783 the Presbyterians had a chapel on a leasehold site off Ferry Lane, Old Brentford. In 1783 they built a new chapel on a freehold site in Brentford Butts (Boston Road). The attendance dwindling greatly, the Trustees of the Presbyterian Church in 1840 invited the Church and Congregation of Albany Congregational Chapel to enter into it [nowhere is there any statement of the precise legal nature of this entering]. Although the Church and Congregation of Albany Chapel, having moved to Boston Road, wished to sell their former chapel, the Trustees were unwilling. Attempts were made to create another Church at the Albany Chapel, which succeeded in January 1854. By 1875, however, this Church was becoming very weak, and in October 1875 it resolved to amalgamate with Boston Road.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Boston Road Presbyterian Church, Albany Congregational Chapel and the Brentford Congregational Church, Boston Road; including volume containing baptisms, burials, membership and minutes of Church Meetings, 1693-1867; volume containing documents regarding finance, purchase of chapel site and construction of chapel and minutes of meetings, 1731-1840; minutes of deacon's meetings, 1883-1891; volume containing minutes of various Church meetings, membership rolls and correspondence, 1925-1941; volume from Albany Chapel containing history of chapel, minutes of Church meetings, baptisms and collections, 1853-1875; documents relating to property, 1709-1825; and papers concerning the reopening of the Church after damage by enemy action, 1954-1955.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
N/C/034/1-5: Administration; N/C/034/6-18: Property; N/C/034/19-21: Reopening of Church.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 1964 (AC/064/48), 1965 (AC/065/24) and 1966 (AC/066/60).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009