Reference code(s): N/C/56
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: KENTISH TOWN CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
The Congregational Church in Kentish Town was first founded in 1807 in Kentish Town Road. Membership grew rapidly and by the 1840s it was necessary to construct a larger building. The foundation stone of a new building on Kelly Street was laid in November 1847. The new chapel was opened on August 15th 1848. The first chapel was converted into a day school and Sunday School. The Church did not join the United Reformed Church in 1972 when the Congregational Church merged with the Presbyterian Church and remains the Kelly Street Congregational Church.
Scope and content/abstract:
Counterpart Lease for Land and Church buildings in Church Terrace, Kentish Town, Saint Pancras, 1849; counterpart lease for land in Congregational Church Avenue, Kentish Town, Saint Pancras, 1851; scrapbook containing notes, correspondence, membership cards, newspaper cuttings, programmes and similar, relating to the Church, Sunday School, Christian Endeavour Society, Total Abstinence Union and other Church societies, 1897-1905; Monthly Magazine, 1902-1903.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Property Records; Scrapbook and printed items.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 18 March 1965 (AC/65/024), and on 3 April 1975 (AC/75/020).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See LMA/4167 for marriage registers
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009