Reference code(s): N/C/62
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: WEIGH HOUSE CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.16 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
The Weigh House in Cornhill was situated on the south side of Eastcheap, between Botolph Lane and Love Lane. In 1697 a Meeting House was founded above the Weigh House for members of the congregation of the Reverend S. Slater, who had been compelled in 1662 by the Act of Uniformity to resign the living of the Church of Saint Katherine by the Tower. This meeting was Presbyterian but by 1780 the church joined the Congregational Church, and became known as the King's Weigh House Chapel. In 1832 the site of the chapel site was required for road building and the congregation moved to Fish Street Hill, where they remained until 1882 when this chapel site was required for the construction of Monument Station. The congregation merged with a small church on Robert Street (now called Weigh House Street) and built new, larger premises on Duke Street, Westminster, opened in 1891. The church closed in 1965 when the congregation merged with that of Whitefield Memorial Church on Tottenham Court Road. The Duke Street building is now a Ukrainian Catholic cathedral.
Scope and content/abstract:
Leases for property on Fish Street Hill, 1841; papers regarding the appointment of new Trustees, 1885-1952; meeting house certificate, 1834; papers regarding Chancery proceedings relating to the Metropolitan and District Railways Extensions Act, 1884-1887; papers relating to the Chapel relocation to Westminster, 1887-1893; licence and lease for property on Saint George Hanover Square, 1952-1953 and Charity Commission Order permitting the London Congregational Union to sell the Chapel, 1966.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 19 June 1968 (AC/68/063).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009