Reference code(s): LMA/4100
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: STREATHAM HILL CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, BRIXTON HILL, STREATHAM LAMBETH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.15 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
The Streatham Hill Union Chapel was built in 1829 on Brixton Hill; this was a union of Anglican and dissenting congregations under the Reverend J. Hunt. The union was an uneasy one and in 1837 the Anglicans decamped to found Christ Church, Roupell Park; while in 1840 the Baptists established the new Salem Chapel in New Park Road, leaving the Chapel to the Congregationalists.
In 1850 the Reverend Hunt was persuaded to leave, and under the new ministry of Reverend John Hall the Streatham Hill Congregational Church emerged. In 1871 the old chapel was demolished and replaced by the present church; the school and hall were built in 1878. In 1972 the church became a congregation of the United Reformed Church with the name Brixton Hill United Reformed Church.
Scope and content/abstract:
Marriage registers for Streatham Hill Congregational Church, Brixton Hill, 1939-1960.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1998 (B98/202).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Further papers can be found at the Lambeth Archives Department, Minet Library, 52 Knatchbull Road, SE5 9QY, reference IV/177.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009