Reference code(s): O/577
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: TABERNACLE, NOTTING HILL, KENSINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.16 linear meters
Name of creator(s): West London Tabernacle | Penzance Place, Holland Park
Habershon and Tite | architects
The West London Tabernacle, Penzance Place, Holland Park, was originally erected in the 1860's by Mr. Varley, a Baptist businessman who began to preach in the neighbouring Potteries in about 1863. It was enlarged and 'beautified' in 1871-1872 to designs by Habershon and Pite. It is built of yellow stock bricks with stone dressings, the style being a free adaptation of Italian Renaissance. The south front is flanked by two towers, now partially demolished, which contained staircases to the galleries. The centre of this elevation was pierced by a largesemi-circular-headed window with a hood moulding in the form of a pointed arch. The building is now in commercial use.
From: 'The Norland estate', Survey of London: volume 37: Northern Kensington (1973), pp. 276-297.
Scope and content/abstract:
Architectural plans, elevations and details of the West London Tabernacle, Holland Park, Kensington, by architects Habershon and Tite of 38 Bloomsbury Square, 1871.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1955 (AC/55/084)
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009