Reference code(s): LMA/4112
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: EAST HAM CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, WAKEFIELD STREET, EAST HAM
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.25 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
Wakefield Street church originated in 1886, when S. W. Patmore opened a mission in the Holme Road Assembly Room. In 1890 this work was taken over by the London Congregational Union, which erected an iron church in Stamford Road, with E. T. Egg as temporary pastor. In 1897 H. G. Brown became the first settled minister, and in 1901 a brick church, seating 800, was opened in Wakefield Street. In 1903 this was the strongest Congregational church in East Ham. A Sunday school was built in 1911, when the church membership was 215. In 1940 the church was destroyed by bombing, and from 1941 to 1945 the congregation worshipped in East Avenue Presbyterian church. The Sunday school, fronting on Myrtle Road, survived, and was later used for worship until 1957, when the church was rebuilt.
Source: A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6 (1973), pp. 31-38.
Scope and content/abstract:
Marriage registers for East Ham Congregational Church, Wakefield Street, East Ham, 1910-1940.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Received in 1998 (B98/202).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009