Reference code(s): LMA/4073
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: KENSAL RISE METHODIST CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.16 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Methodist Church of Great Britain x United Methodist Church x Wesleyan Methodist Church x Primitive Methodist Church
Wesleyan Methodists first met in 1886 in a house in College Road, Kensal Rise. A tin chapel opened in 1887 in Hiley Road, replaced by a brick chapel in 1900 at the corner of Chamberlayne Wood Road and Ladysmith Road (later Wrentham Avenue), near Kensal Rise railway station. Attendance in 1903 was 330 for morning service and 568 for evening service. The Chapel was sold to the Roman Catholic Church in 1977, although the Methodists continued to meet in an adjacent hall. In 2006 the hall hosted a temporary advice and support centre following a tornado strike on Chamberlayne Road.
From: 'Willesden: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 242-246.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Kensal Rise Methodist Church, 1946-1998, relating to Church groups, organisations and societies, including minutes of Leaders, Church Council and Trustees; minutes of the Finance Committee; papers of the Sisterhood, Womens Fellowship and Monday Fellowship groups; and Sunday School Council minutes.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
In sections: Leaders, Trustees and Council; Finance; Women's Groups; Sunday School.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1998 (B98/177).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Further records for Kensal Rise Methodist Church can be found at N/M/37, N/M/39 and ACC/2313.
City of Westminster Archives Centre holds Trustees' minutes, 1906-1919 (Acc 556).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009