Reference code(s): N/C/52
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: BARNSBURY CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, BARNSBURY STREET, ISLINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
Barnsbury Congregational Chapel and school room, was built in 1835 on the corner of Barnsbury and Milner streets, under Charles Gilbert who had resigned from Islington chapel. The church seated 500 in 1838. It reopened in 1841 after alterations, now seating 550. In 1851 the chapel seated 708; attendance was 556 for morning service and 347 in the evening. Attendance in 1903 was 113 in the morning and 497 in the evening. Numbers declined from around 1900 and the chapel closed in 1909.
From: 'Islington: Protestant nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 8: Islington and Stoke Newington parishes (1985), pp. 101-115.
Scope and content/abstract:
Minutes of Church meetings, 1885-1903.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1965 (AC/65/024)
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009