Reference code(s): N/C/29
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: DOCTOR CALAMY'S MEETING HOUSE, LONG-DITCH (PRINCES STREET), WESTMINSTER
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
The Princes Street Presbyterian Chapel was founded when Thomas Cawton received a licence for Presbyterian meetings at his house in Saint Anne's Lane, Westminster, in 1672. A few months later he gained a licence for newly-built meeting-house in the nearby New Way, Westminster. Cawton was minister until 1677, succeeded by Vincent Alsop until 1703, and Doctor Edmund Calamy from 1703 to 1732. Alsop claimed he had been required to divide his congregation into two because of its size, administering communion to each group alternately. The congregation moved to a chapel in Princes Street, Westminster, in 1703, and to another in Princes Street in 1799. It closed 1818, and the congregation joined that of St Thomas's Street Chapel, in Southwark.
Source: Protestant Nonconformity: City of Westminster, A History of the County of Middlesex.
Scope and content/abstract:
Volume containing transcripts of earlier Church records, 1735-1824, relating to the appointment of trustees; property ownership; lists of deacons; minutes of meetings and resolutions passed at meetings; financial accounts and statements; ministerial appointments; rebuilding the chapel and the union with the congregation of Saint Thomas, Southwark, in Stamford Street Chapel.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 20th August, 1964 (AC/064/48)
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009