Reference code(s): N/C/12
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: HORBURY CHAPEL, KENSINGTON PARK ROAD, NOTTING HILL GATE, KENSINGTON
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.01 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
The Horbury Congregational Chapel was constructed in 1848-1849 to designs by architect J Tarring, situated on the junction of Ladbroke Road and Kensington Park Road. The Chapel was an offshoot of the Congregational Church on Hornton Street. The Chapel closed in 1935 and was renamed Kensington Temple, owned first by the Church of the Foursquare Gospel and then by the Elim Pentecostal Church.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Horbury Congregational Chapel, Kensington Park Road, including correspondence relating to expenses of erection of chapel and general finances, 1850-1869; correspondence relating to a dispute between Reverend F.W. Pitt and the congregation, with subsequent intervention of the London Congregational Union, 1909-1914; further correspondence and notes relating to the dispute including a subsidiary quarrel and case between Reverend F.W. Pitt and Reverend H.A. Powell, 1915-1920; copies of 'The Bible Crusade/Quarterly Message', 1917-1919 and engraving of architect's drawing of chapel, 1860?
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Correspondence; Printed Items.
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 20 August 1964 (AC/64/48).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009