Reference code(s): N/C/43
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: SIDNEY STREET CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, BETHNAL GREEN
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.05 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
Sydney Street Chapel had origins in a group which met under Reverend Josiah Viney at a schoolroom in Bonner Street in 1844. They moved to Morpeth Street in 1845 and Sydney Street, Globe Town, in 1850. Worshippers were entirely 'working people' and included most of the women at the industrial home in Homerton, to which minister Benjamin Woodyard was attached. The Chapel was registered for Congregationalists in 1861 and again when rebuilt to seat 370 in 1865. The church closed in 1901.
From: 'Bethnal Green: Protestant Nonconformity', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 11: Stepney, Bethnal Green (1998), pp. 228-240.
Scope and content/abstract:
Secretary's cash book, 1890-1899.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited in 1965 (AC/65/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009