Reference code(s): N/C/08
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: WEST HAMPSTEAD CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, FINCHLEY ROAD, HAMPSTEAD
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.6 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
West Hampstead Congregational church was situated at 527A Finchley Road. It originated in services held in the library of Hackney College in 1894. A building of red brick with terracotta and moulded brick dressings to match the adjacent college, on a central plan and seating 1,125, was designed by Spalding & Cross in 1894. The church also included a school hall and library. Attendance in 1903 was 162 in the morning and 210 in the evening. The church was closed in 1940 and sold to Shomrei Hadath syngagogue in 1946.
Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 153-158.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of West Hampstead Congregational Church including register of baptisms and marriages, 1907-1939; roll of members, 1894-1933; register of applications for 'Fellowship', 1896-1904; minute book of Church meetings, 1894-1913; minute book of General Purposes Committee, 1906-1911; minutes of Joint Committee of Lyndhurst Road and West Hampstead Churches, 1911-1915; minute book of Joint Committee, known from April 1918 as 'the Committee' and from August 1919 as 'Meeting of Church Officers', 1915-1923; financial accounts, 1896-1934; printed programme of 'special events' and regular weekly meetings, 1923-1924; Church engagements and notices, 1937; certificate of enrollment of West Hampstead as member of League of Nations Union, 1938; drawing of detail of organ front, 1895 and plan of seating.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Registers, Minute Books, Accounts and Church Events.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 20 August 1964 (AC/64/48).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See LMA/4307 for records of Lyndhurst Road Congregational Church, Hampstead.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009