Reference code(s): N/C/36
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: WOOD GREEN CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, LORDSHIP LANE
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.96 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Congregational Church of England and Wales
Wood Green Congregational Church was registered in 1864, three years after meetings had started in schoolrooms nearby. The building, the first permanent nonconformist church to serve the new houses of Wood Green, was estimated to hold 500 and in 1873 was criticized as too large. It was classical in style, with roundheaded doors and windows, pilasters, and a pedimented front facing Lordship Lane at the corner of Redvers Road. The congregation was united with Harringay Congregational church in 1964, whereupon the Wood Green Church building was acquired by the local authority as an arts centre.
From: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 356-364.
Scope and content/abstract:
Minutes of Church Meetings, 1861-1963; minutes of Church Committee, later called Deacon's meeting, 1873-1963; membership roll, 1866-1870; counterfoils of marriage certificates, 1924-1940; documents relating to Church property, 1856-1914; handbill advertising meeting to be held on 18 Aug 1861 in the [small school] rooms "to unite together those friends willing to devote themselves to the establishment of a permanent Religious [Cause] for Protestant Nonconformists at Wood Green, [suited to] the increasing of the village", 1861.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
N/C/036/1-15: Minutes, N/C/036/16-24: Property Records
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited 20 August 1964 (AC/64/48) and 18 March 1965 (AC/65/24)
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See also LMA/4155.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009