Reference code(s): LMA/4396
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: KINGSTON AND SURBITON UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.01 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
A Presbyterian congregation first existed in the Kingston and Surbiton area in 1662, however, membership declined. The congregation was revived in 1873 and a new church was built in 1884 in Grove Crescent, Kingston upon Thames. In 1972 the Presbyterian and Congregational Churches merged and the church became Kingston and Surbiton United Reformed Church. The church is now situated on Eden Street.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of the Kingston and Surbiton Presbyterian Church including Court of Session minute books, including history of the chapel, 1876-1962; Deacons' Court minute books, 1873-1957; Bazaar Committee minute book, 1938; annual reports, 1879-1938 (some gaps); Communicants' roll books, 1876-1954; register of baptisms, 1873-1875; financial accounts, 1879-1946; and letter book, 1880-1888.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Records relating to meetings LMA/4396/A, and registers and church records LMA/4396/B.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009