Reference code(s): LMA/4380
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: PUTNEY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.33 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
In 1879, the Presbytery purchased and occupied church buildings (now called Saint Margaret) located in Putney Park Land, which had formed the private chapel of the Granard Estate. Putney United Reformed Church was therefore initially known as the Granard Presbyterian Church. This remained the place of worship until 1897 when the church moved to buildings on the corner of Briar Walk and Upper Richmond Road.
In 1941 a bomb destroyed all the halls and a third of the church. Rebuilding of the church and new halls was completed in 1957. In 1946 the church amalgamated with Wandsworth Presbyterian Church and became known as Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church. In 1968 the spire was removed and the tower was capped off. At the same time, the manse which had stood next to the church was sold and replaced by a house in Fairdale Gardens.
In 1972 the church became known as Putney United Reformed Church following the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian denominations. The last service to be held took place in February 1996.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Putney and Wandsworth Presbyterian Church including Communicants' roll book (contains entries for Wandsworth from October 4th 1945, when the two churches united), 1942-1955; Court of Session minute book, 1916-1953; Committee of Management minute book, 1894-1949 and annual reports, 1879-1949.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
Conditions governing access:
Available for general access.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
Please see LMA/4022 for minutes and registers, LMA/4309 for papers relating to property owned by the church and LMA/4303/E/05/007-009 for Literary Society papers. See LMA/4102 and LMA/4103 for the Wandsworth Presbyterian Church.
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009