Reference code(s): LMA/4365
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
Title: MARYLEBONE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.23 linear meters
Name of creator(s): Presbyterian Church of England
Swallow Street Meeting House was built by a congregation of French Protestants in 1692. By 1709 the membership had fallen and it was decided to offer the lease of the chapel to a Presbyterian congregation which had been meeting in rooms in Glass House Street, Piccadilly. They took over the building in 1710.
In 1843 some members of the Established Church of Scotland broke away to form the Free Church of Scotland. The Swallow Street congregation were divided over which church they should follow. It was decided to stay with the Established Church, however, two Elders and some congregation left the church to form a Free Church establishment. They began meeting at the Marylebone Literary and Scientific Institution on Edwards Street off Portman Square and applied to be recognised by the Presbyterian Church of England. The Church subsequently moved to Upper George Street, Bryanstone Square.
Scope and content/abstract:
Records of Marylebone Presbyterian Church, including Court of Session minute books for predecessor Swallow Street Church, 1734-1806, including a brief history of Swallow Street Meeting House; Court of Session minute books, 1843-1958, including a history; Deacon's Court minute books, 1847-1958; Women's Missionary Association minute book, 1919-1958; House Committee minute book, 1899-1900; Bell Street Mission minute book, 1886-1892; Building Committee minute book, 1844-1847; Finance and Collections Committee minute book, 1922-1933; Teachers' minute book for Lisson Street Sunday School, 1899-1938; Reports of the Four Commissions, special minute book, 1919; Scrapbook containing annual reports, 1847-1873; annual reports for 1912, 1913, 1923 and 1925; Communicants' roll book, 1856-1929; register of baptisms, 1884-1958; list of subscribers to the scheme for raising a sum of money by way of debenture for defraying the expenses of building The Presbyterian Church, Upper George Street, Marylebone, 1846; printed booklet containing lists of elders, members and seatholders, 1934; financial accounts, 1844-1958; Lease arrangement and papers relating to the purchase of a premises on Upper George Street, 1853-1879; monthly journals, 1947-1958 and photograph of W.J.Blunden, former treasurer and elder of the church who died in 1946.
ACCESS AND USE
Language/scripts of material: English
System of arrangement:
This collection consists of records relating to meetings and reports LMA/4365/A, registers LMA/4365/B, financial and legal information LMA/4365/C, and church records LMA/4365/D.
Conditions governing access:
These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.
Conditions governing reproduction:
Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm
Appraisal, destruction and scheduling information:
Immediate source of acquisition:
Deposited by the United Reformed Church (URC) History Society in 2001 (B01/024).
Existence and location of originals:
Existence and location of copies:
See LMA/4303/E for records of the Literary Society. The City of Westminster Archives Centre has Marriage registers, 1900-1958, Minutes, accounts, scrapbook and other records, 1847-1962, (Acc 461).
Rules or conventions: Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.
Date(s) of descriptions: January to March 2009